3 in 1 – 3 mini posts, I need to catch up!

I don’t know what happened with this post, I thought I posted it a couple of days ago.

I just realized it was never published!

A little anti-climatic after my last post…but just imagine you read this one first.  : )

1 – WEGO Health Award Winners

Be sure to check out the WEGO Health Award Winners!  You can find the winners with links on WEGO Health on Facebook or on the WEGO Health Blog Post.  Keep watching these sites for more information about the 2012 Health Awards.  This was WEGO Health’s first Health Activist Awards and they would like your input to help make them even better, you can take a quick poll here http://4159395.polldaddy.com/s/tell-us-what-you-thought-of-2011-health-activist-awards.  I am thrilled that I was chosen as a finalist for the TMI Health Activist Award.  There were many nominations for each category, I hope you took the time to nominate your favorite blogs.  Everyone who is a Health Activist should be proud of what they accomplish.  You make a difference!

Brain MRI - photo from http://www.eldr.com

2 – Monday, January 30th…a day at Duke.

On Monday I had 3 appointments at Duke Medical Center. 12:15 pm Clinic 1D have blood tests.  Since this is a mini-post I will not go into detail about how odd the technician was, and how very painful the procedure was, needless to say, it wasn’t the best experience.  (who takes blood from a person’s hand?  Without even looking for a vein elsewhere?  And fishes around under the skin for the vein?)  Yes, not a goo experience.

1:30pm Lennox Baker Center (located about 2 or 3 miles from the clinics) for Brain MRI with Contrast.  The first person we encountered there was very confusing to me.  I kept getting confused as to what I was supposed to do next, I told him I couldn’t hear, but he just seemed to get frustrated with me…glad I had Stuart with me to help (but he got a bit confused too, so it wasn’t just the hearing issue).  I got an IV for the contrast dye, I have a huge black bruise from this, but it didn’t hurt nearly as bad as the blood test I had earlier.  The MRI itself was pretty easy, much easier now that I can’t hear the extremely loud noises that it makes.  (I also took a Valium before going, so it was much less stressful!)  When the technician took me back to Stuart, he just held the door to the waiting room and left.  Stuart wasn’t there.  I didn’t have my hearing aid.  I asked the people in the waiting room if they had seen another man, and asked them just to shake their heads because I can’t hear.  Everyone said NO…yes, I began to panic a little.  I’ve never been put in that type of situation before.  I couldn’t hear what anyone was saying, and I had no on there who knew me who could help me.  I went back to where we checked in, and Stuart was in that waiting room.  They told him that’s where they would bring me back to.  It was only a bit of a panic for a moment, but once again I’m reminded of how much I must depend on my husband.

Lunch – 2:45 – 3:10 Chipotle – There was really only one faster type place we could stop on the way back to the clinics for my next appointment.  We stopped at Chipotle.  I used to love this place, and I thought I was being very cautious when I ordered.  I had the grilled chicken tacos (no onions or gluten!)  Then I got some guacamole…I love their guacamole.  I didn’t realize until I’d eaten about 2 tablespoons of it that it has red onion in it.  My stomach bloated to such an extreme my loose top was very tight around my tummy, I really looked like I was pregnant!  I had the worst heart burn.  I was not a happy girl…but lunch tasted really good!

3:30 Duke Clinics – Dr. Kaylie’s office – As expected, my MRI was clear.  No brain tumor, a little fluid still around the surgery site, but that was to be expected, it will dissipate over time.  The greatest adventure we had at his office was with the Blood Pressure machine.  First they couldn’t get it to read my BP, then the BP cuff actually blew off!  She fixed it up, and then she took my BP again…it was 175/113!  They told me I couldn’t leave.  The nurse started asking me questions, was I light headed, did I have a headache….I mentioned I had heart burn, she started to look worried and asked if I had pain in my jaw.  I thought…oh great they think I’m having a heart attack!  I explained I had heartburn because I’d just accidentally eaten onions.   She decided to try a different machine, again, after numerous tries it wouldn’t take my BP.  We decided to rest for a bit and try again.  Third machine, finally read my BP 145/92 – yes still a bit high, but after what I’d just been through it was understandable, and Dr. Kaylie said I was OK to leave.  Whew!  I hope my blood pressure is normal next time I go to the doctor, I don’t want to go through that again.

This is a close example of what my new glasses look like.

3- New Glasses

After my appointments at Duke we went and picked up my new glasses.  I was so excited, looking forward to seeing clearer, the frames that would fit better with my hearing aid, the lighter material, and the new look.  I put them on and looked in the mirror and didn’t really like the look.  I’ll get used to it.  (I think most of it has to do with my face being so much rounder.  I’m just not fond of that look!)  In the office I thought I could see fine.  On the ride home I realized I couldn’t read the street signs.  Then yesterday while at class I realized I was having a very hard time going from distance seeing to seeing close up.  Oh great!  My optometrist and I discussed what I do and how I need to see.  She told me that the glasses I have now are single vision lenses., not bifocals.  So I decided to get two pair of glasses, one that is just single vision, and one that are called “computer progressives”.  They will help my vision seeing the computer and reading up close.   After examining the glasses I have now, I realized that they are in fact bifocals.  I’m not sure I would have added the extra expense of the second pair if I’d know this.  I’m usually very frugal about how much money I spend on glasses, but I was so unhappy with the last pair we decided to get the “perfect pair”.  Now for the beginning of trying to get these glasses fixed.  *sigh*

So there we go, 3 short versions of things I wanted to say….unfortunately, I still have much I want to post about.  Receiving the Candle Lighter Award and passing it on…a link to a post about being positive featuring me, and my day yesterday….so much I want to share, you may get tired of hearing from me.


4 thoughts on “3 in 1 – 3 mini posts, I need to catch up!

  1. Fizzy

    I do believe you are now suffering from ‘fizzy disease’ LOL I always save my drafts and think i have published it hehe !
    I HATE MRI’s…I was getting all nervous whn i started reading about it and then saw you took a valium and then I relaxed again ! I cant believe they made such a silly mix up though and left you there with no idea where Stuart was,especially when you cant hear anything 😦 I would have been sooooooo scared if that happened to me (thats why I issed my last MRI appointment haha).
    My stomach does that with some foods too, one time I ate a bread roll and teh buttons broke on my shirt and Mr F went and got me a maternity top to wear !
    and yucky about the BP stuff ! I hate when they start asking questions like that as it makes you more scraed and then it goes up even higher !
    Isnt it so hard to get used to being larger ! I look at myself and cant even regognise my face from 2 years ago..i look like a different person and i thought my new glasses looked yuck too becuase my face is so bloody big now haha. i did get used to them though after a little while. and now its okay, but i think of it this way, we have bigger problems to be worrying about than weight at the moment and our men love us how we are so it really doesnt matter xxxxx


    1. Fiona… I know you really do “get it”! I’ve never been so scared and lost due to my hearing as I was that day. (well, my ASL classes make me feel that way, but at least Stuart is beside me) I did find him fairly easily…but I was a nervous wreck. Imagine how I would have felt if I hadn’t taken a Valium…lol That whole trip to Duke was a stressful event!

      My new glasses…I feel like the accentuate my round face…and I look in the mirror and think…who the heck are you, you have my eyes…but that’s about it. Luckily I have really good hair! hahaha With the new glasses I feel like I have to wear makeup all the time. My face is just so out there…and I guess that’s what I thought I wanted…hopefully I’ll lose some weight, and will feel better about them. Plus, they make me look my best more often. Haha. Even though I’m going to have to send them back and get them fixed…getting new glasses and still not being able to see…no acceptable. (especially when I spent an arm and a leg on those things!!)

      have you read my last post yet…it is pretty graphic about my attack…so beware.

      love and hugs my friend. wendy


  2. Wow! Busy girl! I hate getting new glasses. They told me next time I will probably have to get trifocals! Arg! I always have a difficult time adjusting to new glasses because I am so nearsighted I can’t be corrected to 20/20 and I have an astigmatism, too.

    My blood pressure is higher than it used to be since I put on all this extra weight. *sigh* I just avoid doctors–LOL! 😉

    I have only done a draft for a blog once because I started late and got too tired to finish after I loaded all the pictures. I just do them and post them. I’m sure I’d forget. I almost forgot the one time! LOL! 😉


    1. Rita, I too am very near sighted with an astigmatism. But I don’t think this is just getting used to these glasses. i wore them for a couple of days and Right in the middle it’s blurry…i can see out to the sides. strange huh? also, they should be bifocals and they aren’t. ugh….what a hassle…especially considering how much we paid for these. I’ve NEVER even dreamed I would pay this much for glasses….and they are single vision…not even bi-focals. *sigh* Just something else.

      LOL…perhaps I should just stay away from doctors then I wouldn’t feel so bad about gaining weight. hahaha

      And I swear I posted this blog post…it even came up and showed the page. I normally go straight to my blog afterward but didn’t this time….I don’t know what I did to make it not post…at least it saved it! LOL

      And way too busy this past week. This week we had a bunch planned but it looks like I might be right here in bed for a while.

      love and hugs. wendy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s