As Phineas and Ferb say:
There’s 104 days of summer vacation
And school comes along just to end it
So the annual problem for our generation
Is finding a good way to spend it…
Yes, it has been a long time since I’ve been in school and had a “summer vacation”, but I have always loved summer. For as long as I can remember I’ve always felt better in the summer. I hurt less, and I just want to get out and do more. Longer Days and Warmer Nights…life is good.
The challenges of Summer?
- I over do it because I feel better, then I pay for it!
- I get over heated easily and don’t realize it because I love hot weather. (although we lived in Palm Springs, CA for a while…it was too hot there!)
- I over extend myself. I have a hard time saying “No”, I seem to think I can do anything during this time of year.
- I often end up eating things I shouldn’t, and get sick. (I just don’t plan well.)
- Again, I get too hot before I realize it!
- Well, this should be easy, just do less! However, it’s often hard to tell when I might be over doing it. I guess my best option here is to pay more attention to what my body is telling me. And REST OFTEN.
- Limit the amount time I spend in the heat. Don’t just trust that I can tell when I get too hot, or thirsty. Set a time limit, and stick to it. And DRINK A LOT of water!
- I need to remember, I can only do so much! And sometimes, I can’t do anything. I feel guilty when I tell people I will be somewhere and then I can’t show up. I need to tell more people either, “No.” Or “Maybe.” If people don’t understand, then do I really want to be doing anything with them?
- Since I have gluten and fructose intolerance, there are a lot of things I can’t eat. Too often I go out and don’t realize we may not be home when I get hungry. I must plan better for this. Make sure there will be food I can eat at parties. The easiest way to do this is to bring something. When we are going out and about I need to make sure we will be near places I can eat, or keep food with me. I used to carry protein bars in my purse that were gluten free so I’d always have something. Now, it’s more difficult. I haven’t found a protein bar that doesn’t have things I can’t have because of the fructose. I must find something!!
- I used to never get over heated. I have a convertible, and I love to drive and feel the heat, and wind. On Wednesday, I was on my way home and got stopped due to road work. I was sitting still for about 20 minutes. When I got home I felt sick, and dizzy. I got way too hot. How can I prevent this? I have to keep WATER with me. Not soda, WATER! If I get stuck in traffic, I need put the top up and turn on the AC.
- Complete all the requirements for becoming a licensed foster parent.
- Perhaps take a vacation…something we haven’t done in a very long time. Even a long weekend would be nice. But traveling scares me…I’ll have to be prepared. And we really don’t want to leave our dog.
- Take care of me. (read *pamper* here)
- Read more books. I really don’t know if this is possible, but I’ll give it a go. (I love to read!)
- Enjoy my birthday! (July 2nd)
- Spend time with hubby. (I don’t really care what we do, just as long as we do it together.)
- Enjoy my pets. Especially Sandy, on July 2010, the vet told us that Sandy had 6 months to a year to live. I don’t think anyone told her!
- Enjoy driving. (something I haven’t been able to do much for the last 2 years.)
- Enjoy our garden! This is the first year we’ve tried growing a vegetable garden. I keep looking at a friend’s garden and think…”Wow, why does their garden look so much better than mine?” Oh yeah, they aren’t using all organic practices. Let’s just say I now understand why organic produce cost so much more.