A New Patch

I went in to Duke today at 10:30am, early for my 11am appointment, and was taken straight back to see Dr. Gray.  (Dr. Linda Gray Leithe, neuroradiologist at Duke University Hospital.)

At about 3:30pm I was finally on my way home….it was a long day.


First, we went over everything and I signed all my consent forms.  After talking Dr. Gray was pretty sure we’d find out that my pressure was again low, that the blood patches didn’t hold, and that she would be patching me up again today, but this time she was going to be using Tisseel, a surgical fibrin sealant indicated for hemostasis and tissue sealing.  It looks like epoxy.  It comes in a double tube plunger and it mixes when they insert it.   (kinda cool huh?)

So I went through the same thing I went though when I got the blood patches, but I didn’t have to have another myelogram.  They just used the information from the first one.  I don’t have to be as careful after this procedure because this sealant doesn’t have to clot around the leak, it is sealed now.  However, since they put less stuff in I will feel the results more gradually instead of feeling it as quickly as I did last time.

I have noticed I can tell that I am hearing better.  (the TV was too loud! hahaha)  I’m less dizzy that I have been, but I don’t think I’d risk closing my eyes and shaking my head around yet…maybe tomorrow.  : )

Dr. Gray said I could walk around some tomorrow, but as sore as I am right now, I don’t know if much of that is going to be happening.  It’s not horrible, but dang my back hurts.  I hate taking pain pills, but I think I will be taking a couple tonight.

There is still a risk that my pressure may spike tonight, but I have meds to take care of that if it happens.  So far, no headache, so no sign of increased pressure.

When I left Dr. Gray shook my hand and told me that she hoped she wouldn’t need to see me again!  I must say, as much as I like her, I also hope I don’t have to see her again either.  She is such a great doctor.  You rarely meet a doctor who is so up beat and genuinely loves her job.  When you are with her you can’t help but catch the enthusiasm and hope that just flows off of her.

Here’s Sandy coming to check on my recovery:


Sandy checking on me.

Tonight my darling husband went and picked up a gluten-free pizza from Mellow Mushroom.  (what a treat!)  Now I’m going to relax on the couch and watch cartoons.  Maybe, we’ll turn on a movie, but right now cartoons are making me happy!

Right now I’m not feeling all that great.  I think the meds aren’t sitting well, and I didn’t sleep very well last night.  I sure hope I start feeling better soon.

I’ll let you know how I’m feeling tomorrow.

Thank you, everyone, for being so very sweet and sending me wonderful wishes.  I really do appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

*fingers are crossed*


2 thoughts on “A New Patch

  1. It sounds like it went well! How are you feeling today? I didn’t sleep well last night either so I have a case of slosh head, brain fog today. Hopefully after a nap I will feel better.
    Hope you are recovering without too much pain. Thank you for your update even though you weren’t feeling well. That must have been a challenge to post!
    Deb 🙂


    1. I hate how much a lack of sleep can make us feel so icky. I will say creating that post took many hours actually. I kept stopping and resting and then going back, and then resting and coming back…it wasn’t done in one sitting. But I really wanted to get it out there. I’m not really in much pain, unless I do something stupid. I’ve had much worse…this is really a breeze. Thank you for checking on me. w


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s