Nothing is better when you are sick than Chicken Noodle Soup. My husband loves it, and it makes me feel good when I can pamper him a little when he is sick. Unfortunately, I also got sick, but at least I home made Chicken Noodle Soup to make me feel a little better.
First I made Homemade Chicken Stock, but you can use purchased stock. I like stock much more than broth because it much more flavorful. Broth is usually watered down too much. If I use a purchased stock I prefer Kitchen Basics Unsalted Stock. Most purchased soups, broths, and stocks have way too much sodium, Kitchen Basics makes an unsalted version that is very flavorful.
Homemade Chicken Stock
- You can use a whole Chicken, but I save up all the bones that have little bits of meat left on them from when I buy chicken on the bone and then need boneless chicken for a recipe. (I hardly ever buy boneless, skinless chicken breast. I buy split chicken breast and de-bone and skin it. It usually cost much less that way.)
- 3-4 medium carrots with tops cleaned and cut into big chunks.
- 3-4 stalks of celery with tops (if they have them on there, a lot of celery I buy lately doesn’t have the leaves) chopped in big pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped in big pieces.
- Enough water to cover everything
Place the chicken, veggies, and water in a stock pot that is big enough to hold everything without boiling over. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook for at least 45 mins, until the chicken is tender and the veggies are pretty much falling apart. You can remove the Chicken and Veggies by straining them through a colander and let the liquid run into another pot. Return the liquid to the stove and cook until the stock is as strong as you would like.
I used part of the stock immediately in my soup, but to save the rest I dipped it in muffin tins and froze it (don’t fill it all the way to the top). When the stock is frozen remove it from the pan and put the cubes in a zip loc bag for future use. (each muffin tin holds about 1/2 cup, this is a good way to know how much stock you have, you can even measure out 1/2 cup muffin tin to be certain.)
Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Stock from above. (about 4 cups)
- The chicken that you pulled off the bones from making the chicken stock. (if you used left over bones and pieces like I did you may need to add a little more chicken. I added a breast cut into very small pieces.)
- 3-4 medium carrots cut in small rounds
- 2-3 stalks of celery sliced in small pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 teaspoons Italian seasoning.
- Gluten Free Noodles (I had Tinkyada Elbows on hand so that’s what I used.)
Add all ingredients to soup pot. Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until veggies are tender. Remove Rosemary, (if some leaves fall off it’s ok, I just like to take most of it out because the soup starts to taste more like Rosemary than anything else.) Return soup to a boil and add pasta, reduce heat to simmer and let cook for about 15 mins (depending on the pasta you use.) When pasta is ready the soup is ready to eat!