“Change is inevitable, growth is intentional.” -Viktor Frankl
In the beginning of 2013 I was so sick I didn’t even write a New Year’s post. I was so depressed, and so very, very ill. (yes, I know this one is a few days late, but it’s still the beginning of the year, right)
So what will the 2014 bring? I’m not sure, but I know it will be a change.
Nothing is ever permanent. I may feel I’m always sick and feel horrible, but if I look at every day, every moment, that isn’t true. It’s not a constant. Life is not constant. I want to remember this, and work at being mindful about each moment.
I don’t want to make resolutions, because, let’s face it, very few resolutions are actually carried through. But there are a few things I want to strive for….if I don’t get there, it’s OK. Things change.
- As I’ve already said, I want to be more mindful about each moment. If I’m doing something I want to really pay attention to what I’m doing. I do not want to multi-task. I want to be present in the moment, each moment.
- I’m trying to eat much less meat. I know this is going to be a challenge because of my food limitations, but I feel the need to do this. One day recently I realized if I had to kill the animals we were eating I wouldn’t eat them. I’ve felt this way for a long time, but I didn’t really take it to heart. But now, I simply feel I need to do this…so I’m going to try. I’m taking it slow, and I’m not going to go crazy if I happen to have a bit of meat…just one moment at a time. (I am still eating eggs…trying to only get pasture raised, and I’m eating some dairy…trying to only eat dairy from a local farm where I know how the cows are treated.)
- I want to meditate more…I’d like to do this much more regularly than I have been. I have found that this really helps me when I’m having a vertigo or asthma attack. I can calm myself and that makes things much easier to get through. However, I’ve found it is hard for me to meditate for long times, at least for now…so I will start off slowly (if I strive for a couple of minutes, then I’m sure I can succeed) and work my way up..
- I want to become happier with my appearance as I am now. I’ve been so obsessed about losing weight, it has caused me to have very negative feeling about myself. Yes, I haven’t been able to lose weight because of mitigating circumstances (like not being able to exercise, and taking meds that cause weight gain), but I blamed myself. I feel if I feel better about myself the size I am I will have accomplished a lot! I also feel that until I feel more self-confidence about my appearance, it will make it harder for me to lose weight. That may sound counter intuitive, but when I’m unhappy with my body I get discouraged, and think why bother. Discouragement, breads self-deprecation for me.
- I’d like to blog more. This past year was very hard, I can think of a few reasons it was harder than normal, and hopefully these things will be changing soon. (for example…Stuart getting a job, me getting the asthma under control….) I don’t like to always sound like someone who is just full of heartache when I blog, so I didn’t blog as much. I have found that I need to share more with others, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Someone out there may be feeling the same way.
- And I’d like to challenge myself more. I know I will have to do this when Stuart goes to work out of the home, but I think it will be good for me. Sometimes, I feel I rely on him too much. It’s much easier to ask him for help with something than to risk doing it myself. My mantra on this must be….”slow, take it slow.”
There are many more things I could add to this, but as I said, this isn’t a list of resolutions, just some plans that may change as the moment changes.
note: for some reason WordPress would not let me insert a picture in this post…sorry for just words, words and more words.